From:
Glyn Balkwill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:59:53 +0200
At 08:46 29/10/98 CAT-2, you wrote:

>I recieved this request via e-mail but we don't work with ivory and
>thus have little usefull information.  Can anyone help me with this
>problem?

Karin,

From whom did this request come? If it is some one in SA, and the bracelet
comes from a site in South Africa, then it is technically covered by the
National Monuments Act and the holder would need to be in possession of a
permit to hold it. It is illegal to remove any item from an archaeological
site in SA without a permit, and permits are never given to individuals not
attached to institutions, where any material removed has to be housed.
Before I would feel happy about giving advice ethically I would be much
happier if these issues were clarified!

Glyn

PS maybe we should have a session on legal issues at that forthcoming CM's
meeting you're having.

>Thank You

>Miss Karin Scott
>Collections Manager: Archaeozoology
>Transvaal Museum
>P.O. Box 413
>Pretoria
>South Africa
>0001
>
>Tel: 27 12 322 7632
>Fax: 27 12 322 7939
>E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
>
>*****For information on the upcomming Collections Managers Symposium
>have a look at out website at http://www-tm.up.ac.za*******
>
>REQUEST:
>>I have a fairly large Early Iron Age ivory bracelet which needs
>>conservation attention. It was broken when recovered, but is in
>>danger of further fragmentation. We can keep it in a stable acid-free
>>environment. But I'd like at least to get a good photograph of it,
>>and am thinking of putting it on display in the museum. Can I glue
>>the pieces together with an acetone-based glue (mowital) and should
>>I treat the ivory in any way to prevent further fragmentation, say,
>>with a dilute glue solution or oil of some sort? Linseed?

* Glyn Balkwill                     Tel (w)  : 27 (0)12 341-1320 *
* Deputy Director                   Tel (h)  : 27 (0)12 664-1973 *
* Collections Management            Cell     : 27 (0)82 770-7826 *
* National Cultural History Museum  Fax      : 27 (0)12 341-6146 *
* PO Box 28088                      Email    : [log in to unmask]   *
* SUNNYSIDE                                                      *
* 0132  RSA                                                      *
* Any opinions expressed are strictly my own                     *