From:
Harry Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 11:16:22 -0500
Holli;

Given that so many heritage institutions are, shall we say, less than
optimally managed, an MBA is VERY useful preparation for the administrative
area and for general management. However, the problem with most museums is
that they tend to look either for people with training at an advanced level
in their subject disciplines or in museology. It is a problem of perception
on the part of many potential employers in our field. If you think this is
bad, you should see what it's like when you tell them you're a CFE
(Certified Fraud Examiner)!!!

My own feeling is that it is the DISCIPLINE of doing graduate work and the
skills that requires you to develop, that are the things that help you
succeed, down the line, and I am increasingly skeptical about any one
dicipline being any more useful than any other.

Harry

(C.D., OStJ, OLJ, B.Ed., Dip.Ed., M.A., CFE, rsc - most of which mean very
little, but do impress potential employers, more's the pity)
Harry Needham
Special Advisor - Programme Development
Canadian War Museum
330 Sussex Drive,
Ottawa, Canada
K1A 0M8
Voice: (819) 776-8612  Fax (819) 776-8623
Email: [log in to unmask]