From:
Neal Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 11:30:27 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Peg Kusner <[log in to unmask]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.museum-l
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sunday, October 18, 1998 8:28 AM
Subject: Re: recalling a grant?

>Somewhat of a tangent, but .. I have been approached by the board of a
>local non-profit to do some grant-writing for their education outreach
>department.  While I have been successful in writing grants for my own
>projects, I have never served in a 'contract' capacity, and would like to
>hear from others who have done so.  Does one generally charge a
>percentage of the approved grants?  Or is an hourly rate generally better
>received by a board?  Can you give me an idea of the going rate for
>grant-writing services--fair compensation!?  Is a formal contract
>advisable?  Thank you in advance for your assistance!
> peg kusner

Dear Peg,
After I completed grad school, I took a job as a contractor in a museum.
They had received a grant for a project that I worked on, and they paid me
an hourly rate from the grant amount.  You need to be prepared to pay a
large amount in taxes on anything you earn.  I had to pay more than $1000 in
taxes that year, after never having to pay taxes before.  I was working that
job and another one to make ends meet.  I was very under-paid and
over-worked, plus I was single.  I wasn't able to write off hardly anything
at the time on my taxes, because I was using their office space, etc.  I
would definitely write up a formal contract, and check how it would affect
you tax-wise.
Lorri Jacobs