From:
"John A. Bing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 21:23:24 GMT
The subject of "employee or Independent contractor" is basically one
of federal taxes.  If an independent contractor, the employer does not
have to withhold income tax, does not have to contribute 6 % to Social
Security and other mandated activities.  However, the concept has been
badly abused such that the IRS has clear definition as to what
constitutes an independent contractor including where he or she works,
hours worked, are tools provided, etc.  As to supervision, I suspect
it is a matter of whether the employer just assigns the work and lets
the contractor work out the solution  vs the employer dictating how
the work is to be done.   Call the IRS for details.

John Bing