From:
Timothy Vitale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 12:02:26 -0700
I am in the process of preparing an article on scanning light intensity
for a number of scanners being sold today. I measured several scanners
directly using a standard CIE measuring head hooked to a recording
analog-to-digital converter in a notebook computer.  I have data from
only one Microtek scanner because the folks in the Microtek booth at
1998 Seybold meeting (last week) said the cold cathode lamps were the
same in all their scanners.  The output levels from all scanners I
measured are very low, on the order of 2-10 lux hours per scan.  Thats
less than one hour, to two hours, at the standard 5 lux illumination
level.  The data will be published in the RLG DigiNews at
http://www.rlg.org/preserv/diginews/ sometime in October.

Timothy Vitale
Preservation Associates
831-684-2731