From:
Hervé Gagnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 16:33:24 -0500
This has nothing to do with culture. It has to do with trying to manage an
institution with available resources and having a right, as professionals who
end up being held responsible for ultimate success and failure, to decide who
is useful and who is not. Age has nothing to do with it, unless it transforms
an experienced, knowledgable and useful volunteer into an actual part of the
collection which you can't deaccession.

Hervé Gagnon, Ph.D.