From:
Gronborg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 16:16:36 -0500
The message below is part myth, part truth.
The "nine-zero-pound" story only affects those businesses that require you
to dial 9 to get an outside line and then place no restrictions on who or
where you can call once you get that outside line.

>Sorry this isn't related directly to museums, but I thought many of
>the list members could benefit from the info.
>Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 09:37:06 -0500
>From: Thomas Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
>> Elizabeth Patterson
>> 11/30/98 12:08 PM
>>
>> To:   All Employees, [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
>> cc:
>> Subject:      FW: Telephone Scam
>>

>> Subject:      FW: Telephone Scam
>> FOR YOU INFORMATION......SEE THE MESSAGE BELOW
>> I received a telephone call today from an individual identifying himself
>> as an AT&T Service technician who was conducting a test on our telephone
>> lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine (9), zero
>> (0), the pound sign (#) and then hang up. Luckily, I was suspicious and
>> refused.
>> Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#,
>> you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line,
>> which allows them to place long distance telephone calls billed to your
>> home phone number.  I was further informed that this scam has been
>> originating from many of the local jails/prisons. I have also verified
>> this information with UCB telecomm, Pacific Bell, MCI, Bell Atlantic, GTE
>> and NYNEX.  Please beware.
>> DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE. The GTE Security Department requested that I
>> share this information with EVERYONE I KNOW.  PLEASE pass this on to
>> everyone YOU know. If you have mailing lists and/or newsletters from
>> organizations you are connected with, I encourage you to pass on this
>> information to them, too.

J. R. Gronborg, Exhibit Developer
Chicago Academy of Sciences, The Nature Museum

E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
*Opinions expressed are my own and may not necessarily be that of my employer.