From:
Robin Le Van <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:39:21 -0600
Hi, John. We do not have honorary board members. However, some
not-for-profits have big name board members who are merely fund raising
magnets, like a celebrity or leader in the field who function in this
capacity. Typically, these board members operate much like an immediate past
president as they do not have voting power, are not required to attend
meetings, are active donors and they have a right of refusal when their name
is being used for fund raising/promotional purposes. If you are considering
honorary members, I suggest altering the wording of your board job
description for them (with board approval, of course) and being very clear
with them during their orientation.
What is prompting this concern?
Robin
Missouri Humanities Council