From:
Jason Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 16:25:05 -0400
Ross,

I'm sorry. I misunderstood the "do not touch" thread, and replied as if to a
different post. I asked the moderator to pull it, but apparently too late.
I don't take offense, honestly. I only wish my missals more precisely reflected
my sentiments. I am very pleased to belong to this virtual community. For nearly
a decade I've been US  correspondent for a well-regarded London-based
publication, and my geographic remove from my ostensible colleagues may have
resulted in an atrophy of basic courtesy, for which I apologise. But, the
superficial nature of my overseas contacts with my collaborators has reinforced
my appreciation of more meaningful interaction. I recognise that this may not be
the venue in which to repair my professional isolation, but I also believe that
it is worth spending a little time to find out. The more I open, read, and
delete one-sentence posts about newsletter names, the less likely it seems I
have found a remedy.

About the newsletter thread, as soon as I read it I asked the sender if he meant
in-house publications like the Metropolitan's The Column, or members
publications, like the myriad calendars and news sheets issued by institutions
across the country. I never got a reply. Then everyone started sending the names
of their newsletters. Maybe I am wrong, but I would rather have one article from
each newsletter posted than a bunch of one-line briefs. I am not compiling the
list of newsletters. Why should I have to sift through the scraps and notes on
the desk of the person who is? I'd rather talk about other things.

Jason