From:
Laura Mahoney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:57:38 -0400
     Thanks to all who responded to my message about trying to volunteer
     in my local history museum.

     Several people expressed concern over the fact that I worked full
     time and would not be available weekdays or have much time to commit
     to volunteering at the museum. I want to clarify that I specifically
     modified my regular work schedule to work flex time so that I would
     have alternate Fridays off. I clearly stated in my cover letter to
     the museum that I would be able to work alternate Fridays and
     Saturdays for about 15 - 20 hour per month.  The museum staff works
     on a Tuesday - Saturday schedule, so I know that professional staff
     would be around at all times.

     A couple of you advised that I contact the collections
     manager/registrar directly.  I think this is great advice and I plan
     to do so.  I will also express my specific interests in the volunteer
     application form just to reiterate the type of work I'm interested in
     doing.

     I know that there are certainly other places I can go to volunteer,
     but I have reasons for wanting to volunteer at this specific museum.
     First, it is close to my home and I'm tired of the hour plus commute
     to Washington DC I have to do every day already for my regular job.
     Second, compared to other local museums in the area, they
     occasionally have job openings that pay a very decent wage.  I hope
     to use volunteering as a way to get my foot in the door.

     Thanks again.

     Laura McMann Mahoney
     National Park Service
     Archeology & Ethnography Program