From:
Andy Finch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 12:41:14 -0500
FUNDING OPPORTUNITY

On Nov. 12, President Clinton announced 183 new grants totalling $60
million for "21st Century Community Learning Centers" to set up
after-school, weekend and summer programming in public schools around
the nation.

The schools are free to contract out as much as they wish -- every
penny, if that's what they want, according to a DoE official.  DoE in
fact requires applicants to have community partners such as museums.  We
found several examples of museums cooperating with schools during the
application process.  Funds can be used to bring museum educators into
the schools as well as to transport students to the museum.

However, we have found that many schools make detailed plans only after
being notified that they will receive grants.  Thus, there's an
opportunity for museums to contact schools that have just been notified
and to explore programming possibilities.

FOR THE LIST OF GRANTEES, go to:

www.ed.gov/offices/OERI/21stCCLC/ and then click on the phrase "183
grants to about 600 schools" for a list by state, with contact
information and a short description of the project.  For example, here
is one entry:

LUZ ACADEMY OF TUCSON
345 E. TOOLE AVE., SUITE 101
TUCSON, AZ 85701
Contact: Ricardo Jasso 520-882-6216
Estimated First Year Funding: $374,063
The Luz Academy Learning Center, located in a charter school, will
oversee four Centers in high-poverty schools in cooperation with
numerous community organizations. The programs will provide enrichment
activities in core academic subjects as well as tutoring, recreational,
and cultural activities.

Also, in mid-January, DoE is running 12 conferences for potential
applicants.  (They still have another $140 million to give out next
year.)  By all means, contact your schools and see if they or you can
attend.  The conferences will be in Reno, Providence, Boise, Billings,
Portland, DC, Omaha, Philadelphia, Flint, Houston, and Atlanta.  For a
list of locations, see the above website.  With luck we may have museum
presentations at these conferences.

Andy Finch
AAM Government Affairs