From:
Kitty Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 10:58:42 -0500
Hello Nick & Ann,

I have recently retired from the position of Senior Registrar, after 27
years of service, at the federal Canadian Museum, the Canadian Museum of
Civilization.  The issue of copyright on artworks had become a major area of
concern and activity in the Registration section since the revision to the
Canadian Copyright Act in 1988.  I wonder if the restrictions on sketching
artworks might not be based on the copyright on the original arworks.

It is my understanding that if someone creates a derivative artwork (B)
based on an original artwork (A), by sketching, draughting etc. the
copyright in the second generation artwork resides with its creator (B).
Perhaps the institutions loaning exhibits to these small institutions are
placing restrictions on the loaned artworks (A) as they are still under
original copyright.  This is just a guess, placed on the table to foster
discussion.

Sincerely,

Kitty Bishop-Glover
Bowmead Technology Ltd.