Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 09:51:00 -0600
Nancy,
We had a pretty intensive thread on this topic awhile back - you might want to
search the archives.  At our museum we're having a "Season of Celebration" with
various community ethnic and religious groups putting small self-created
displays (their choice, whatever, however, they'd like to tell the community
about their practices,, group, etc.) in the Museum lobby for the month of Dec.
On Dec. 6, Sun. afternoon, we're having a community "open house" when some of
the groups participating in the lobby exhibits (as many as would like to) will
offer some sort of public presentation during the afternoon program.  Each
group will have about 15 minutes to perform.  A bell choir will perform, as
well as a youth choir and a number of others, concluding with a mariachi band.
we'll have punch and cookies for visitors and performers.  Included in the
lobby displays will be a decorated tree, covered with about a 20 year
collection of Christmas tree ornaments that belong to the Director (me).  The
building will also have decorated wreaths and garlands.  We drew the names of 3
different congregations from all the local Christian churches and in addition
we'll have displays from the local Jewish congregation, Buddhist community,
Madrigal singers, etc., etc.I think it'll be both fun and interesting and the
performances should be great.  We've been pretty lo-key in the past, but after
being asked what we were going to do this year, I worked this out with our new
Board Chair.  The aim was to be as inclusive as possible, in both lobby display
and performance, hoping to get strong community participation and, hopefully,
additional involvement in the Museum.
Linn