From:
"Michael A. Lewis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 10:13:50 -0800
        I have an intertersting conservatioing conservation problem.
        I have recently encountered a tortoise-shell comb that is
deteriorating from the edge of the handle, pndle, progressively over
thpast five years. The material is craking in a geometric pattern and
crumbling int a powder. The damage is progressing from one corner along
the edge of the handle of the comb.
        The comb has been kept in a plastic zip-lock bag in a drawer
during the period of deterioration, in a private home that has been at
room temperature but in uncontrolled relative humidity.
        I would appreciate any suggestions on how to stabilize this piece
and at least stop further deterioration.
        Thanks!
        Michael A Lewis
        University of Alaska Museum