From:
"J./B. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 18:57:36 -0500
Just out of curiosity, what would you term an "entry level job?"

I assume for each institution and each department it would be different,
but it would be interesting to see if we are all on the same page.

I'll start:  at the Indianapolis Art Center, "entry level" would be
something on the Assistant level, such as...

EDUCATION ASSISTANT: the person who handles the paperwork and some
administrative tasks relating to our classes--contracts for monitors and
instructors, release forms for students, MSDS sheets for art materials,
etc.  We ask that this person have a B.A. in an art-related field,
preferably in a studio-related discipline (B.F.A.).
(BTW, we are searching for one of these--full-time with benefits, starts
at the end of July)

DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANT:  takes care of day-to-day tasks relating to our
membership and planned giving programs; files grant reports; uses the
fundraising database to generate reports.  We ask that the person have a
B.A. and at least 1 year of development-related experience, but the
latter is flexible.

EXHIBITIONS ASSISTANT:  helps prepare paperwork relating to exhibitions;
prepares condition reports; assists in installing exhibitions.  We ask
that this person have good hand-eye coordination, facility with hand
tools, have had some sort of internship in a museum (at least), and have
at least taken art and/or art history classes at the undergraduate
level.

(...and so on for each department)

The pay scale for these tends to be in the $18,000-$20,000 range to
start and depending upon experience and qualifications, can go up to
about $26,000.  These people tend to be infinitely promotable.

We also find that our front desk staff (all part-timers, generally
overqualified for the phone-answering and question-fielding and database
work they do) are a good recruiting source for these entry-level full
time jobs after they have worked with us for about 1 year--we have hired
3 in the last 2 years (after doing a public search as well).  We have
also hired former interns and volunteers for these jobs.  So it really
pays to get your foot in the door as an intern or volunteer, especially
if the place has a rather high turnover or a very large staff.  Heck, if
you get yourself appreciated well enough and then threaten to leave,
they may even CREATE a job for you!

OK, your turn!

Julia Moore
Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center