Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 19:22:37 -0500
7bit
From:
"J./B. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
In 1993 we changed our name from the Indianapolis Art League (which it
had been known as since 1939) to the Indianapolis Art Center. We did it
because "League" did not adequately describe the wealth and variety of
our programming and did not indicate our professionalism as an art
center.  We changed our logo at the same time, and it didn't hurt that
we had just broken ground on a new, larger facility.  We did an
intensive PR effort (and lots of deliberation...for example, should we
spell it "Centre"? Pluralize "Art"?) prior to the actual change, and we
think it went very smoothly.  We cannot tell whether our dramatic growth
after that was due entirely to the name change or to the larger
facility, but certainly as a staff we felt less like we had to explain
our mission to everyone who saw our signs or met us at a conference.

Another example of a good name transition was from the South Bend Art
Center to the South Bend Regional Museum of Art--this happened around
the same time as we changed our name.  You might contact them for info
about their transition.

Julia Moore
Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center