From:
Harry Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 10:04:52 -0400
Bill;

We have similar problems, in that children, even quite small children, like
to climb all over the tanks, guns,etc., that we have in our courtyard and
adjacent open spaces...and the odd one does fall off. Short of fencung them
all off individually (which we don't want to do, as a large part of the
appeal is being able to touch them and examine them at close range),  there
is not much we can do except keep our fingers crossed and trust to the
sensibilities of their escorts, though I'm bound to say I often shake my
head at the sheer stupidity of so many of the parents wanting photos of
their kids in what I would think of as dangerous places!

We did have a nasty incident last summer when a 7 year old fell off a
Sherman when his grandparents weren't watching him. Fortunately, the
adjacent courtyard had a large Canadian Forces display attended by more than
20 military personnel, and he had hardly hit the ground before a petty
officer and four of his hands were rendering first aid, calling an
ambulance, etc. Fortunately, the little fellow wasn't seriously hurt and,
once the Navy had checked him out, dusted him off, bought him some ice
cream, given him a cap and generally treated him like the visiting King of
Ruritania, he was right as rain.

We didn't get sued, but we DID get a wonderful letter from the grandparents
saying how impressed they were with the attitude and speedy response of the
troops, which I  passed on to the Chief of the Defence Staff and Commander,
Maritime Forces, to ensure the personnel involved received some kind of
commendation.

Still, I worry about these things. At the Australian National Maritime
Museum, the visitors can climb over most of the superstructure of their
destroyer (ex-HMAS Vampire), which is attended only by the odd invisible
volunteer. No one seems to worry much about what will happen when someone
falls into the drink - and Sydney's harbour DOES contain some interesting
and not terribly friendly fish, so I am told!

I look forward to reading the responses to your post...and good luck to you!

Harry

Harry Needham
Special Advisor - Program Development
Canadian War Museum
330 Sussex Drive,
  Ottawa, Canada
K1A 0M8
Voice: (819) 776-8612  Fax (819) 776-8623
Email: [log in to unmask]