Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 15:37:29 -0400

>> One thing we must always keep in mind:  if someone is willing
>to take the
>> job a such low pay, the situation will never change.

30 years ago, art historians were already predicting that the best and brightest would leave the museum field if they were not adequately compensated.  It's just makes sense.  I am a case in point.  With my MA from the Courtauld, my big ideas that seemed to get me nowhere, and several years of experience in not-so-hot paying museum jobs (try living on $14/hr in a major city!) I sought career opportunities elsewhere.  Good timing, with the job market so hot.  I am now heading up the museum marketing and PR efforts of an architectural firm that is building its museum masterplanning and design division.  Along with myself, the firm has managed to bring in other former museum employees, all with advanced degrees and LOTS of frustration.  I think the most frustrating part was that those of us in curatorial departments, with specialized expertise and degrees, were compensated at lower levels than staff in development, accounting, etc.  I guess the museums realize that accountants can work ANYwhere and earn higher pay, yet art historians are pretty much limited to curatorial work.  I think it is a shame that I was literally forced out of the museum field due to financial constraints and a hierarchy that was averse to change.  Having a blend of business savvy and art historical knowledge would seem an asset to a museum, but they are currently not prepared to make the effort to keep people with these skills.  Museums are beginning to function more like business (directors are already coming from industry rather than arts sectors)- perhaps this will trickle down.  But, this may never happen, as their will always be a steady stream of new graduates happy to get a foot in the door at minimum wage.