From:
Roger Wulff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 10:34:41 -0400
Dear Arlyn:

I think there are many people on this list who would be interested in
the details of "your burn room."  Could you post the details to this
list?  Will there be an article?

Kind Regards

Roger Wulff

Executive Board - The International Committee On Museum Security
                        of ICOM
______________________________
Arlyn Danielson wrote:

> Ginger-  I recently participated in an experiment with how items and
> storage materials burn.  A piece of Tyvek was draped over some of the
> "artifacts."  When the room was set on fire, the tyvek didn't seem to be
> all that fire retardent- in fact, it burned and left strange little tyvek
> bubbles that were not removable, on the artifacts.  Plus, we found a
> strange, unidentifyable material between the artifact and tyvek.  It could
> have been created from the tyvek during the burn.  No one knew what it was
> or how it got there- including the person who set up the burn room.  I
> thought I'd pass that info along.
>
> Arlyn Danielson

Museum Services International is a non-profit organization which
provides planning and implementation services in all areas of cultural
and museum operations.

        VISIT US AT: http://www.washingtonpost.com/yp/museumshopint

Museum Value Methodology - Please contact us for details on how this
methodology can assure quality and cut costs for your institution's
activities