From:
Jason Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 12:29:46 -0400
I'm not sure what you're unhappy about. The pictures were grouped according to
theme, just as you desire. A room of Water lilies, another of Venice, another of
London, etc. The Weeping Willows were all in a row. The mural-sized canvasses
all together. If a few early depictions of a subject -- say, the Japanese
footbridge -- were separated from much later versions, or Venetian palaces
separated from one another by churches, I imagine it was to try to balance
interest in both chronological and technical development, which don't always
follow a single path. It is difficult to keep more than one narrative in place
when they move along at different rates, and when one has only a certain group
of pictures available with which to illustrate them. The curators also must
consider the overall impression of the installation as decor. A strictly
illustrational hanging may not look too good. Overall, I think the curators did
an admirable job. As visitors, I suppose we have to come up with an ideal
hanging in our own minds, perhaps even many different virtual hangings -- how
did Monet treat foliage, how did he represent sunsets, how did he paint water
seen from a distance? It takes acute short-term memory to see an exhibition
well, and as many return visits as time and wallet allow.