From:
Jeffrey Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 12:13:08 -0400
I am posting this for a colleague here at the Virginia Museum of Fine
Arts.

The Tour Services Department is developing a tour which would meet the
needs of visually impaired visitors.  Allowing blind and visually
impaired people to touch art objects gives these visitors an intimate,
personal and multi-sensory experience that docent-led audio tours cannot
offer.  This department is searching for any fine art museum that offers
docent or staff-led 'touch tours'-tours which include audio description
and direct touching of the objects--to visually impaired visitors.
Names of individual institutions which offer such tours are sufficient,
however, any additional information would be welcome.

Thank you for your help and thanks to all who responded to my previous
request for information on visitor designed tours software
Jeffrey Allison
Coordinator, Statewide Programs
Virginia Museum of Fine Arts