Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 08:00:00 PST
From:
Brenda Weatherston <[log in to unmask]>
PRINT AND WEB-BASED DISTANCE EDUCATION COURSES  . . .
Cultural Resource Management Program at the Univeristy of Victoria

The following is a listing of our upcoming distance education
courses -- I've received several requests for this information to
go with the posting of on-campus short courses I did recently. My
apologies for not posting them all together -- it's makes such a long
message! In the past, participants in these courses have come
from around the world, though primarily from North America. Please
contact us for registration information, or visit our website!

Best wishes,

Brenda Weatherston

PRINT AND WEB-BASED DISTANCE EDUCATION COURSES  . . .

INTRODUCTION TO MUSEUM STUDIES

This print and video-based survey of museums in contemporary society
provides you with a philosophical foundation, balanced with an understanding
of the diverse knowledge and skills required in professional practice and the
issues and problems encountered in the workplace. Course themes include
ethics in practice, relationships with communities, impacts of technology, and
impacts of changing sources of funding. Components include:

 >>  Museums: An Introduction- toward a definition of museums; the
museum continuum; professional directions; the museum community
 >>  Collections - collecting and curatorship; collections
management; information management; beyond collections
 >>  Conservation - conservation principles and ethics; the
collections environment; handling with care; assessing conservation
requirements
  >>  The Public Partnership - building partnerships; communications;
program development; marketing
  >>  Exhibitions - principles and policy; planning exhibitions;
design and development; measuring success
  >>  Management - governance and management; museums and the law;
personnel; finances; the museum building

You receive six binders containing teaching units and a wide range of
instructional materials, and a set of posters, along with a video series and access
to a listserv. Two texts are also used - if they are unavailable in your
community, they may be ordered with the course. You should have access to a
museum or related organization, in order to consider your learning in a
practical context; as well, some assignments involve a review of the
institution+s policies, facilities, or programs. A tutor provides guidance and
feedback on your assignments throughout the course.

Dates: September 8, 1998 - April 16, 1999   -   Please register by August 14
Fees: $640, including tuition of $453 and a Program Fee of $187. (Canadian
funds, credit or non-credit options available)
Other charges may include:  Texts: $49   Off-continent shipping $120.00

FROM PRINCIPLES TO PRACTICE:
INTRODUCTION TO HERITAGE CONSERVATION

This newly revised print and web-based survey of the principles and
practices that shape the conservation of our built environment
provides you with an understanding of the evolution of the movement,
the ethical and legal contexts in which conservation takes place, and
the technical and organizational considerations which shape
professional practice. The role of community in all aspects of
conservation is a recurrent theme. Course components include:

>>  What Guides Heritage Conservation? the meaning of heritage
conservation; an historical perspective; the heritage conservation
network; world charters and conventions; from principles to
practice; ethical challenges
 >> Techniques and Technology - recording and analysis; research and
documentation; onserving historic fabric; inspection and maintenance
 >> The Contemporary Context - responding to diverse communities;
changing realities; cultural tourism; towards sustainability
 >>Heritage Conservation in Action - planning for heritage
conservation programs; downtown revitalization; cultural landscapes;
interpretation: bringing places alive

You receive print materials, videos, and access to a website and listserv. Two
texts are also used - if they are unavailable in your community, they may be
ordered with the course. E-mail and Internet connections are necessary to
access some resource materials. As well, you are encouraged to visit and study
heritage resources in your community as some assignments require you to
review and critique local policies and practices. Throughout the course you
work with a tutor who provides guidance and evaluates your assignments.

Dates: September 8 - April 16 Please register by August 14
Fees: $640, including tuition of $453 and a Program Fee of $187. (Canadian
funds, credit or non-credit)
Other charges may include:  Texts: $59   Off-continent shipping $120.00

HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
People in museums and other heritag and cultural organizations bring a
remarkable level of enthusiasm and commitment to their work, despite
significant organizational change, uncertain funding, and high levels of
stress. This print and web-based course examines methods for creating positive
work environments, and explores issues and ideas that influence the way we
manage and work with people. You will strengthen your ability to develop and
manage human resources as you:
>>      define the central role of people in achieving goals and objectives
>>      recognize the impacts of social, economic, and political factors
>>      understand the nature and implications of museum work on HR management
                   and development
>>      describe methods and structures required for effective HR management
>>      articulate the value of integrated approaches to HR management
>>      assess ways performance is influence by organizational dynamics and
                   culture, and leadership styles and practices
Course components include: organizing work; HR Functions; recruitment;
facilitating performance; training and development; HR planning; new ways of
working; the museum as dynamic organization

Throughout this course you interact regularly with the instructor and other
participants by email as you work through a combination of print, audio, and
web-based resource materials.

Instructor: Lois Irvine draws on extensive HR management and consulting
experience in her on-campus and distance teaching. Based in Alberta, Lois
balances her teaching with international consulting activities and her work as
Chair of the Canadian Museums Human Resource Planning Committee

Dates: October 5 - January 22   Please register by September 18
Fee: $589 (Canadian funds, credit or non-credit)

Comments from past participants:
o  "Amazingly well organized and beautifully/appropriately
presented!"
o  "This is the most amazing class that I have ever been a
part of."
o  "… I want you to know that I thought Lois and the course
materials were superior.  She obviously is a dedicted professional
and cares about the quality of her work.  I was very impressed with
the content and how it was structured."
o  "Although I … embarked on this course with some hesitation and not
knowing what to expect, I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by
its content and format; and I learned a lot of useful tricks and
ideas that I started using in my work situation."
o  "I appreciated the ability to take a class from home and continue
in my current position."
o  "As soon as the class began, I was able to use the skills in my
current position and reflect on the use of HRM skills that affect
other areas of my life."
o  "I have been extremely fortunate to have the support of this
distinguished instructor and her specialized knowledge.  Also,
interacting with a variety of other students out of my own geographic
area and learning how their focus is different from mine has been
very important."
----------------------------------

* If you are registered in a related academic program at another university,
you may be able to transfer credit for these courses with the permission of
your Academic Advisor.

For more information, please contact:

Brenda Weatherston, Program Coordinator
Cultural Resource Management Program
Division of Continuing Studies, University of Victoria
PO Box 3030 STN CSC
Victoria B.C. Canada V8W 3N6
Phone (250) 721-6119 Fax (250) 721-8774
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Visit our Web Site! http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp/
Distribution List: To receive monthly updates, send a request to

UPCOMING LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES FOR MUSEUM & HERITAGE PROFESSIONALS
On Campus Courses:
1998:
Museums at the Crossroads Sept 14-19
Planning for Community Cultural Stewardship Oct 19-24
Financial Management in Cultural Heritage Organizations Oct 28 - Nov 6
1999:
Public Programming in the Heritage Community Jan 25-30
Cultural Diversity: The Inclusive Museum Feb 15-20
Curatorship Mar 1-6
Museums in Historic Buildings Mar 22-27
Approaches to Repatriation April 12-17
Managing Archaeological Information Apr 19-24

Distance Education courses:
Introduction to Museum Studies May-August, Sept-April
From Principles to Practice: Introduction to Heritage Conservation Sept-April
Human Resource Management Oct 5 1998-Jan 22, 1999
Museum Information Management Jan 18-April 23, 1999
Collections Management Jan 12 - Apr 23, 1999