From:
Alex Avdichuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 11:56:12 -0400
As one of a number of alumni of the University of Toronto program who are
subscribed to this listserv, I am in total agreement with Kelly.  And to
top it off, the vast majority of U of T museum studies graduates are
actually working in our chosen field.  Coincidence?  I think not.  Hard
work and dedication, as well as a decent education works every time.  The
proof is in the pudding.

I'm sure any number of our professional colleagues from other university
programs will agree that a Master of Museum Studies degree is a far cry
from "lightweight".

Alex Avdichuk
City of Toronto Arts, Culture and Heritage Services

What arrogance & ignorance to suggest that an MA in Museum Studies is a
lightweight discipline, or relatively lighter in intellectual substance.
As
a graduate of the University of Toronto MA program in Museum Studies, I
would like to point out that this graduate program (as is the case with
many
others) is substantially more demanding than other graduate liberal arts
programs.  Students must have higher marks due to the small number of
students accepted annually, you must have demonstrated work & volunteer
experience in the field, the program is 24 months in length (double other
programs) & requires a 3 month internship plus a thesis. How dare you write
off an entire field of academics, professionals & students.