Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kenneth R Deroux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 13:54:30 -0800
I am looking for information on how museums are dealing with potential Y2K
(Year 2000) problems, especially as they might impact building systems such
as HVAC, fire, security etc. I will be doing a short presentation on this
subject at a pre-conference workshop at the Western Museums Association
conference in Anchorage, Alaska in September. I posted this message to this
list last week, but there has been a deafening silence. (The only response
on this list was from the AAM). I don't think it has been discussed at any
length here, as it is a fairly new subject. I would even be interested in
is just beginning, or you've never heard of this issue or whatever.

The concern, if you read some of the literature on this, which is easily
available on the Internet, is that some microchips that make up the
components of a wide variety of automated systems, such as HVAC etc., or
the computers they are connected to, will have problems when the date
changes to 2000 or even later, and may not perform their functions properly
or may shut a system down. The scenario is further complicated when one
considers the possibility that these problems may occur in  systems outside
the museum as well, such as water, electricity, transportation and
communications. I'm trying to arrive at a realistic appraisal of the
situation and I'm hoping to come up with some examples of problems (or lack
of problems) encountered by museums who have begun testing their systems
for y2k compliance, and the kinds of systems that might be at risk. I'm
also interested in related issues with other computers and software used in
museums, as well as what kinds of contingency plans museums are developing.
Any information you can provide will be appreciated.
Kenneth DeRoux
Curator of Museum Services
Alaska State Museum
395 Whittier Street