From:
Belinda Nickles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:42:04 -0400
Yes, salaries are too low.  No, they won't raise anytime in the near future.  I have 5 years experience in museums and an MA in historical administration and I have yet to make enough money to support my husband and myself while he finishes his degree.  I have seen curatorial positions that had a job description that included everything but the kitchen sink and the pay was only $15,000 per year.  A talk with the curator who was leaving the position revealed that it didn't pay enough for her to live on in the area where the museum was located.  As a department head (curatorial department) I only made $20,000 a year--that's less than most beginning teachers (another low paid job).  But then again, if I had been interested in only money I never would have gotten into this field.  I am doing what I love and that is more important to me.

There are museums out there who have money but are still skimpy in the salary area.  Then again, there are hundreds if not thousands of museums who simply can't afford to pay more.  As long as I work at a museum where I am respected and I'm doing what I love, I'll put up with the low pay.