From:
"John A. Bing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 17:56:13 GMT
On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 18:08:25 -0500, you wrote:

>>      But would you really say (and I'm not being sarcasitc) that the
>>      Christmas tree as we know it today is a Christian symbol?  If so,
>why?
>>
>Really, John, yes it is.
>It may be a relic from a pagan era, but has been appropriated by the
>majority of members of a dominant religion. Call it an X-mass tree, it is
>still not a symbol of X-ianism.
>
>No more, or it may be percieved as getting ugly.

        To me, this last comment touches on, what I think, is the most
destructive of all aspects of this subject.  The intolerance of others
(and I DO NOT take the above as an example)  who don't share your
religion and demands that religion be so separated from public life
that it gives the impression that religion is wrong and bad.  Any
review of history reveals religion as an integral part of man's social
being.  History will also show that man has fought innumerable wars
over (or in the name of) religion.  The shame of it all is that all
this energy is spent on intolerance of others, an attitude that only
spawns revenge and retaliation and, worst of all, a degrading of life,
morals and community.

Now, and as the previous writer hinted,  I should stop before I get
flamned for even raising the subject.