From:
Sonja Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 10:41:08 -0700
Hi Ross (and others)

I agree that many cultural and historic organizations have the ability
within their immediate means to get something on the web, and they
should take advantage of that. At the same time, I think you may not
be in the majority. I was mentioning to John though that there are an
awful lot of sites out there that aren't updated (for months or
longer) and that in these cases, maybe it would be better to have no
presence than an ineffective, outdated one (subjective and unpopular
perhaps, but not an unreasonable point). Web sites offer a great
opportunity to extend a museum/gallery's "space", from exhibits to
education programs to general information. Although I am very much
aware of the funding problems experienced by cultural institutions, I
also hope that people in charge take advantage of this relatively
inexpensive medium and start to allocate funding towards it. I'm not
just saying that because I'm in the business, but because I get
excited when I'm searching around and find a museum/gallery that has
an informative and (let's face it) pleasant site - which perhaps will
be the only way I ever get to experience that collection.
Sonja
(ps. I have no desire to denigrate yours or anyone else's
resourcefulness and creativity so please don't take my remarks in that
manner!)

==