From:
Tish Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 10:23:59 -0600
This is a bit off your question, actually more related to Harry Needham's
situation.

We have two bronze dinosaurs in front of our museum both by artist Dave
Thomas.  One, (Pentaceratops) is meant for climbing and is surrounded by
sand.  This has been great to reduce accidents/injuries.  Now and again
visitors drag rocks under the dinosaur to help them get up on it, but we
move them away so any fall will be on the sand only.  I know of only one
chipped tooth we have had since its 1984 installation.  The other dinosaur
(Albertosaurus) was designed to be difficult to climb, and I have only
heard of a few late night climbers, and none of those have fallen and sued
us!

Tish Morris
New Mexico Museum of Natural History & Science

Tish Morris