From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 10:44:37 -0400
This is probably the same project as Virginia's former Gov. Doug Wilder
launched when he took a trade mission to Africa in the early 1990s.  The
state of Virginia has made grants to the foundation set up by Wilder, now
president-elect of Virginia Union University, that includes Jackson and
others of national repute on its board.  The museum would be built near
Jamestown Va. (where in 1619 the first slaves disembarked)  Negotiations
recently fell through for riverfront land operated as the Gospel Spreading
Farm by a Washington-based denomination.

Wilder and his associates have mentioned using a part of Hampton
University's campus (where Booker T. Washington among others was educated)
that also has riverfront.

It's a worthwhile endeavor, in my estimation.  It'll be hard to keep
everyone involved happy, though.