From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:38:36 -0500
Thanks.

------
Robert Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum
museum_bob
http://www.bchm.org

----------
From:   Ross Weeks[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Thursday, June 25, 1998 9:57 AM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: AAM, accreditation, etc. (long rebuttal)

Despite a good argument against some form of "professional" certification in
the museum field, there is a good middle ground between
accreditation/certification and nothing at all.   For some occupations,
(public relations, fundraising, tourism marketing, etc. etc.....we've all
seen the acronyms added to one's name) it simply serves as evidence that the
individual has learned, and has agreed to accept and practice, ethical and
other standards related to the field, and evidences some skill or knowledge
of the work he/she is doing.

The above three examples are, like museums, catch-all occupations.  Those in
these fields come from all sorts of backgrounds.  There are people like
these on the staffs of most museums.

To me, this type of program provides anyone who is interested with evidence
of the individual's professional standing -- not necessarily excellence, nor
particular specialized skills and talents, etc.

As to creating administrative nightmares for museums, this approach doesn't.
The person wishing accreditation or certification is the responsible party
and pursues it as part of continuing education in the field.