From:
Melissa Heaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 11:30:54 -0500
I, too, would be interested in such discussions, as I also not only work for an
organization that runs historic sites around the country, but I also serve on
the board of a local site. (However, there was no address with the initial
message, so I don't know to whom to respond!)

In dealing with all the Trust's sites, we do not allow plaques in the period
rooms. It really detracts from the interpretation! However, we have often had a
donor "wall" where we post lists of donors (and also memorials to others for
whom something is given), not only of objects, but also of cash for the purchase
and/or care of objects. The wall is usually in a public area where visitors see
it - introduction area, museum shop, etc. At the Trust, we actually have a
statement in our collections policy that says that we do not use markers and
other such things to note donations of objects.

At house museums where I have worked in the past, however, we had a silver
engraved plaque on each of the door jambs that announce that there has been a
specific donor to the restoration of an individual space. It was fairly
unobtrusive, but I don't think it would be continued today - again, the
interpretation issue. Is the plaque more important than the room?

Melissa Heaver
Director-Museum Collections
National Trust for Historic Preservation