From:
Kathrine L Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 08:13:58 -0500
I have to agree with Matthew White on the accreditation of museum
professionals issues.  One of the things that makes museums responsive to
their public is the fact that their employees come from diverse
backgrounds.  It is this unique blend of experise in surprising
combinations that make some of the best museums.  While I came from a
museum studies program, some of the best people I have worked with have
not - and there are still many people in the profession who started before
the days of wide-spread museum studies programs.

Apprenticeships, prior life experiences, etc. often make great museum
professionals.

On the other hand, I think that increased numbers of programs for people
in the profession on the latest techniques/technologies/ideologies is
important.  I think that musuems themselves should be held to
professional standards and also think that the museum disciplines should
set professional guidelines for its practioners - e.g. The booklet
published by EdCOM on Professional Standards for Museum Education (note
education, not educators, taking into account that all staff members
should be addressing the issue of education in one way or another).

Kathrine Walker Schlageck
Education and Public Programs
Beach Museum of Art
Kansas State University