From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jun 1998 23:56:49 -0400
I skipped reading this thread because it came up six months ago and will
probably come up again in six months.  I started reading it only today
when I noticed how many posts there were and when I started reading the
messages I realized that, again,  one ingredient of this discussion is
missing and, at risk of never getting another intern again, I wish to
bring it up.  If I repeat an earlier thread to this discussion I
apologize.

If the market for entry-level positions is so tight, and has been tight
for at least a few years judging from some people's posts, why do Museum
Studies Departments continue to turn out so many graduates?  I don't mean
 to question the sanity of the students; you like a field, you go to
school, you try to get a job.  That's how the career game is supposed to
work from the student end.  I do intend to question the responsibility of
the graduate departments to be honest to prospective students about job
prospects.  I would even bring up for discussion the issue of whether it
is ethical for these departments to continue to recruit, train, and
graduate students into a field so (seemingly) lacking in rewarding jobs.
And, does this  glut (if there is one) contribute to  lower salaries?

I get numerous mailings each fall for museum studies departments from
across the country (three within a half days drive of Baltimore) and more
Public History programs are being proposed even as I write this.  One
museum education department has even started an accelerated program that
awards an MA in one year.  Where do all these people get employment?
From this list it seems that there are very few jobs.  Are all of those
recruitment brochures that make high placement claims misleading?

Just a point for discussion,

Matthew White
Director of Education
B&O Railroad Museum