From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 11:10:24 -0400
In my experience, business members appreciate the publicity and goodwill
they receive by being recognized as supporting worthy causes.  That is what
they expect -- an investment in goodwill.  Large donor businesses sometimes
are offered the opportunity to entertain privately at the museum, without a
rental fee.  Banks, insurance agencies, law firms, real estate brokers, and
(if applicable) upscale department stores seem to predominate outside the
urban areas of America.

I think free gifts to members tend to go against the purpose of asking them
for their financial support.  Worthwhile "token" gifts can be manufactured
economically for institutions with donor rosters in the tens of thousands,
e.g, quality Christmas tree ornaments as given out by Colonial Williamsburg.
Members like to read an informative newsletter, they like discounts in the
museum shop, they appreciate a small quantity of discounted admission
tickets they can give to friends.  The old decal/bumper sticker/refrigerator
magnet approach may be helpful in some regions, not others.

Plimoth Plantation in Massachusetts has a highly successful lobster bake
each summer for its members.  They pay full cost to attend.  A nicely
catered annual harvest picnic works in some other areas.  Urban museums have
high-style receptions and galas.  I sense that your members may prefer
something more informal, as in the fall (or spring) picnic -- with
entertainment, such as storytelling, music, whatever fits the locale.