From:
Adrienne DeArmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 08:55:08 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-21 20:26:56 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:

> And as to your resume, if you feel you are overqualified for such an
>  entry-level
>  position, is it recommended that your over-qualifying job experience be
>  left out  so that the possible employer won't also remind you that you're
>  overqualified by not hiring you?  If you do leave out the more
>  "professional" experierence you've had,
>  why would the employer even promote you in the future, since you apparently
>  lack the skills and experience for the promotion?

During my last stint of unemployment, I finally panicked and when to
headhunters to get ANY job other than waitressing. They told me to dummy down
my resume so I would not intimidate employers! One actually told me to take of
my MA and my book contract with NYU. It was SOOOO demoralizing. The thing is,
I didn;t get any of the jobs I applied for with the resume cleared of all my
accomplishments either! I've found that honesty is the best policy b/c if they
truly believe that being a security guard is your life's ambition (when you
have an MA in Museum Education and have 6 years experience with the Boston's
Children Museum), and you leave the position after 1 year, they are not
perceptive, and you won't get a recommendation!

- Adrienne