From:
Barry Szczesny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:13:37 -0400
Following is an update we faxed tonight to AAM's  Museum Advocacy Team:

To:  Museum Advocacy Team
From:  AAM Government Affairs
Date:  June 23, 1998

Re:  Funding for Cultural Agencies.

Following our recent alert on the House's action, we wanted to update
you on Senate appropriations recommendations for FY 1999 funding for the
federal cultural agencies.

The Senate Interior Appropriations Subcommittee met today and
recommended:

- $110.7 million for the NEH,
- $100.06 million for the NEA, and
- $23.28 million for the Office of Museum Services (OMS) within IMLS.

For the NEH and OMS, this is the same amount they received last year.
For the NEA, the Senate figure would be roughly a $2 million boost -
especially good news since, as you recall, the same subcommittee in the
House recommended no funding for the agency just last week.

Both the Senate and the House versions next will move to full
appropriations committee consideration and then to a floor vote.  Then
the House and Senate work out differences between their respective bills
in conference committee negotiations.  We will keep you posted and let
you know when action is needed.

As for the National Science Foundation's Informal Science Education
(ISE) program, the House VA-HUD Appropriations Subcommittee recommended
a $5 million increase to $41 million for FY 1999.  As you recall, the
Senate bill so far slates a $10 million increase for the program.  These
recommendations will go through the same process outlined above.

Barry Szczesny
AAM Government Affairs