Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Bill Quinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 13:53:15 PDT
Alex,

Good to hear that you are hiring on experience and qualifications, but I
must add that attaining a job is not necessarily applying to the
position that you are qualified for. From what I have garnered in my
limited experience is being in the right place at the right time, and
who you know. Seems redundant to note this, but we don't live in an
idealistic world, and I know for a fact Toronto isn't one. I spent four
years looking for employment that would pay above minimum wage (I'm not
looking to make a million, but be able to survive with a modicum of
comfort). One position that I was offered required a masters degree,
education programming and management experience, not for profit funding
experience and at least 10 years in the business. It paid $14000 per
annum. I turned it down for a sales person position that allowed me to
survive.

My positions at other institutions were attained less than ideally. I
was hired before the position was "legally" posted. It was a who I knew
situation.

And I am currently in the same position again, looking for employment.
It is really quite sad that I don't have much faith in the hiring
practices of most arts organizations. But I am not delusioned nor turned
off. I know it will come and will take perseverance, and maybe a nudge
in the right direction by someone in the organization.

So again, nice to hear that you are hiring on experience, but I must
warn other job seekers to take that with a grain of salt, and don't
trust too highly in some institutions' hiring practices being fully
open.

Forever a skeptic, in love with this profession!

Bill Quinney, M.A.
Director
Whistler Inuit Gallery
email: [log in to unmask]

P.S. If you know of any arts of history based educational programmer
positions, let me know!