Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 19:00:50 -0700
The assumption that a collection HAS to be objects/artefacts obscures
what I had stated: there has to be a collection (i.e. the raison d'être
for the museum). If that reason for being happens to be
objects/artefacts, then than collection does consist of
objects/artefacts; but when one considers that non-material culture also
has equal relevance, one does not have either objects or artefacts or
material. (Does sheet music have the same significance as the sound of
that music when it is played?)

Museums should be educationally-active, interactive with their service
community in programme planning and implementation. In this context, the
collection acts as a resource for the education programming.

Dave Wells
Quinault National Museum Project
821 Kaiser RD NW 6A
Olympia WA 98502-2621