From:
Richard Fields <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 21:55:16 -0500
I have recently assumed the position as the Director of a historic site
in Oklahoma.  While inspecting boxes in storage, I came across a flag
that had been rolled up and placed in an acid free box some 18 years
ago.  I have temporarily unfurled the flag on a flat surface as I ponder
what to do with it.  The flag is a 45 star pattern with a larger hand
made star affixed to it, with Oklahoma written on the star.  I have been
able to determine the significance of the flag, but it really falls out
of the period we interpret at our site (1824-1890).  The flag is soiled
and worn, but considering its history, in pretty good shape.  Since our
site is approaching its 175th anniversary in April, 1999, I would like
to temporarily exhibit it as a draw for the local community.
        My questions are:
        The flag is approximatly 6 by 18 feet in size, and fragile.  I don't
have the space to lay it out flat for the display.  Does anyone have a
suggestion on the best way to present such an artifact?
        How do you safely store a flag that is large but fragile.
        Finally, am I wrong in trying to dispaly it locally before I send it
off to the State Archives? I want to preserve the artifact, but sending
it out of the area without giving the local museum visitors could be
considered a slap to the local community.
        Any comments are appreciated.

                Richard A Fields
                Superintendent
                Fort Gibson Historic Site