From:
Valerie Borden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 14:22:20 EDT
CALL FOR PROPOSALS

InterActivity 1999
Association of Youth Museums
May 21-23, 1999

"Coming of Age in the 21st Century:  Building a Better World for Children"

Co-sponsored by New York University School of Education

Hosted by The Brooklyn Children's Museum, Children's Museum of Manhattan, and
Staten Island Children's Museum

The Association of Youth Museums is pleased to announce an exciting
collaboration with New York University School of Education designed to explore
the intellectual and philosophical foundations upon which our institutions are
built.  InterActivity 1999 offers tremendous potential for synergy among
children's museum professionals, educators, students, and world-renowned
experts in the areas of teaching and learning.  As we come together in New
York City to celebrate the 100th anniversary of children's museums, we will
join collaborators with worldwide perspectives, expertise, and commitment to
children and learning.

Youth museums have come of age in the past century, serving children and
families as leaders in informal learning.  As we move forward into the 21st
century, what are the challenges of the new era, and are we ready to meet
them?  How can we expand and strengthen our capacity to serve our audiences in
this rapidly changing environment?  Who are our natural partners, and how can
we form alliances to make a greater impact on the lives of children--today,
and as they grow and develop into global citizens?  New York City, with its
vast cultural and intellectual resources, including a consortium of children's
museums, offers the ideal backdrop for a provocative and stimulating
conference--challenging us to envision a better world for children, the
communities we serve, and children's museums.

The Association of Youth Museums and New York University School of Education
currently seek proposals that address how children's museums and their
partners within the educational community are poised to meet the challenges of
the 21st century.  Together, AYM and NYU have identified three conference
priorities, and proposals should address these issues with a depth of content
designed to challenge even the most experienced attendee:

--Advancing Family and Early Learning
--Reaching Diverse Audiences
--Forging New Alliances

In particular, the 1999 Program Committee welcomes proposals that:  1) focus
on the practical applications of research and evaluation; 2) incorporate
future and/or global perspectives; and 3) form links between museum
professionals, teachers, daycare providers, and other practitioners who work
with children.  Please help us to shape this year's program by submitting a
proposal for InterActivity 1999.

Proposal Deadline:  August 3, 1998

For more information or to request a session proposal form, please contact
AYM.

1775 K Street, NW  Suite 595
Washington, DC  20006

Phone 202/466-4144