From:
Ann Gonneau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 14:00:36 -0400
Hello Suzanne:

I stand corrected re SERCO's salary offerings.  I was quoting numbers that
appeared in the Globe and Mail around the time of the proposal for take-over
and which are still on the Internet if you do a search.

With respect to the fact that the facility is cleaner - I'm not surprised
as, if you look at SERCO's prospectus and list of contracts, that's where
their expertise is - facilities management, removing garbage, maintaining
elevators, etc.  The concern I have is that someone, be it SERCO or their
clients, thinks that ability to run a facility efficiently translates into
ability to run ANY facility, regardless of the nature of that facility. It's
just too simplistic a solution.

I agree with you about tax dollars - however, the contract which our Council
endorsed with SERCO will end up costing the taxpayers here an estimated $2
million in unforseen costs in the next five years.  And the level of service
is lousy as they've reduced full-time management staff to 3, who so far,
spend most of their time whining about how busy they are!

Yes, I'm bitter.

Ann Gonneau