From:
Adrienne DeArmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:58:19 EDT
The Historical Society of Washington, DC is doing several exhibitions in
public places. We have an installation along a construction barrier in an area
of DC now called the "U Street corridor" but formerly known as the Shaw
neighborhood. No matter what time of day/night I've driven by, there are
people checking out the photos/info about the area in "the good ol' days" I'd
be happy to put you in touch with the Curator of the Project, Kathy Smith if
you like. Check our website for images of what it looks like www.hswdc.org. We
are also negotiating with a restaurant to hang repro blow-ups of photos from
our collection in their dining room as "decoration" and we already have repros
of our collections installed at the T.G.I.Fridays at National Airport (sorry,
can't call it Reagan International:-)

Restaurants as galleries are a huge "new" concept. I have a feeling there will
soon be big battles over who gets to hang their collections in newly opening
restaurants.

As a final note, there is an excellent exhibit of woodcut poster art in the
Nashville Airport as you leave the Southwest Airline terminal. I say
excellent, b/c I'd never stop to check it out, but the 3-4 times I've walked
by, I've caught enuf text to "get" the show. They use the fact that the Grand
Ol' Opry used such posters as advertisements back in the 30's (I think?), as
the link to it being in the Nashville airport. context and content. Would love
to know who curated it...

- Adrienne