From:
Laura Dickstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 10:43:55 -0400
I worked at a museum that was famous for its Christmas parties.  We also
held a party that celebrated Kwaanza, Hanukkah, Three Kings Day, in
addition to Christmas.  One year, I asked if we could purchase more
materials to represent the other holidays, since we had so many 12 foot
tall Christmas trees and garland, etc.  I was able to purchase
Kwaanza-related decorations, however was told that a menorah was religious
and therefore since we already had a small one (about 1 and 1/2 foot tall
and broken), we rather, should purchase a nativity scene. I was told that a
Christmas tree has no religious significance, and when I brought up the
fact that as a Jewish person who never was able to have a Christmas tree in
her home and I was deeply offended by this remark, I was told I had to go
purchase the Christian-related item.  I refused and subsequently, my boss
bought it instead.

Some people perhaps don't realize they are offending people, like when they
suggest the placement of a Christmas tree in a holocaust exhibition
(actually happened).  And I have to agree with those who have said that a
Christmas tree, although not originally intended as a religious item, has
deep set affiliations with the Christian religion. Yes, it may be pagan,
but more Christians have them than any other religion. And although some
Jews now have Christmas trees in their homes, it is not something that my
Jewish momma and many others out there, would find pleasing or appropriate.

Laura J. Dickstein