From:
Peter van Mensch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 May 1998 16:11:19 +0200
John Martinson (and others)

Almost two weeks ago you raised the question "What exactly is museum
theory?". Comments were send by Dave Wells, Doug Lantry and Peter Rebernik.
Not too many. Maybe most people are tired of such questions or perhaps not
interested at all. I understand, since it is difficult to make clear what
the scope of museum theory is in a few sentences.

As I was in Dubrovnik in Croatia (speaking with others about museum theory!)
I could not react immediately. But I would like to take the opportunity to
share some remarks.

Museum theory may be related to (but not equated with) museology. ICOM has
defined museums as well as museology. I suppose you are familiar with the
museum definition. Museology is defined as "the study of the history and
background of museums, their role in society, specific systems for research,
conservation, education, and organization, relationship with the physical
environment, and the classification of different kinds of museums". Both
definitions are very much discussed as they do not follow present day
developments. New paradigms in museology (such as "new museology" and
others) have moved away from a museum centred approach.

I agree with Dave Wells saying "Unfortunately, museum studies and museology
education remains dominated by Anthropology, Fine Arts, or History - and
those disciplines keep museology from be comprehensive and adequate - which
I find a very serious determent to museums and to museum scholarship".
Fortunately however, since its founding in 1976 ICOM's International
Committee for Museology has made major contributions to the development of
museology as "independent" (but very multidisciplinary) academic discipline.
This thinking is reflected in museological training programmes all over the
world, but least so in the UK and the USA.

Those of you interested in some reflections on museology as a discipline may
find useful references in my PhD thesis (Towards a theory of museology) of
which most chapters are published on the web:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rwa/contents.htm
Other reflections can be found at
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rwa/publ.htm

Dr Peter van Mensch
senior lecturer of theoretical museology and museum ethics
MA course director
Reinwardt Academy
Dapperstraat 315
1093 BS Amsterdam