Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 22 May 1998 07:13:26 +0100
> >Pam Endzweig wrote:  Now we are considering whether it would be
> wise to install a sprinkler system if and when we add on.

It depends on your system. If you have a pressurised spray mist, properly
zone controlled, then even with high water sensitivity sprinklers the
(potentially very serious) water damage is almost certain to be less than
the fire/smoke damage even for the affected area.  Also, fine water mist
spray is extremely effective at suppressing smoke - both limiting the
spread of this (and therefore facilitating evacuation) and washing out of
the smoke the inevitable highly corrosive and poisonous products of
combustion of modern materials (plastics, synthetic fabrics, paints and
coatings, furnishings).  All too many produce huge quantities of lethal
chemicals, not least cyanides: in the great majority of fires these days
those killed are dead from poisonous and suffocating smoke inhalation tens
of minutes before they suffer potentially lethal burns.

Patrick Boylan