From:
Ellen Giusti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:47:58 -0500
Action Alert!  CARE Needs You!

Just when we are recovering from the AAM Meeting in Los Angeles, it's time
to start thinking about SESSIONS for the 1999 AAM ANNUAL MEETING in
Cleveland!  AAM's Standing Professional Committees (SPCs) have become an
important part of the proposal review process. By sponsoring a program,
CARE ensures that many audience-related issues become part of the dialogue
at the annual meeting.  WE NEED YOU TO BECOME INVOLVED.

The Committee for Audience Research and Evaluation (CARE) sponsored or
co-sponsored over 15 sessions at the Los Angeles AAM Annual Meeting.  We
have a well-deserved reputation for presenting outstanding sessions that
reflect current issues facing museums today, thanks to all of you who have
participated in sessions in past years.  I'm looking forward to our
sponsorship of more excellent programs in Cleveland.

If you need a program form, let me know right away.  The theme for the
conference which takes place April 25-29, 1999, is *Reinventing the Museum:
Relevance and Renewal.*  The guidelines indicate that "AAM intends to use
its annual meeting as a forum for the discussion of timely and emerging
issues that pose challenges and opportunities to our profession in the new
millennium."  The guidelines suggest numerous possibilities for creative
discussion of issues related to audience research.

We need program proposals.  If your proposal is sponsored by a Standing
Professional Committee, i.e. CARE, you have the best chance of getting it
accepted by the AAM Program Committee.  Your proposal will be reviewed by
CARE volunteers.  Our CARE Chair, Ellen Giusti from the American Museum of
Natural History and I will lobby for the sponsored proposals in Washington,
DC, in August.

All speakers must be confirmed prior to submitting the proposal.  Sessions
must be chaired by "a professional working in the museum field, either in a
museum or a museum-related organization (e.g., federal, state or regional
museum association, etc.)  If you need a session chair, let me know and I
will help you find one.  Or, if you need a panelist to round out your
topic, I may have a suggestion.  If you want to be a panelist, but aren't
sure of a topic, let me know and I'll try to help you think it through.

This year, I need all proposals by July 15, 1998.

You can reach my voice mail easily, anytime, and my FAX number or e-mail
gets your proposal to me quickly.  Most important, get your proposals to me
soon!  See you in Cleveland!

Margie Marino
Acting Design & Development Manager
Denver Museum of Natural History