From:
Laura Mahoney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:06:07 -0400
     Just to add to Jennifer's discussion about instituting a
     certification, I just thought I'd mention an example.

     In my recent past life as a research administrator, they do have a
     professional certification program which is administered by the
     Society of Research Administrators (SRA) -- I think that's the
     organization that runs it!

     The problem with research administration is that their is no B.A. or
     M.A. program for the field.  Most people (like me with a M.A. in
     Museum Studies) wind up in the field by default and have to learn on
     the job.  Because of the diverse training of research administrators,
     the field recognized the need to have a common body of knowledge.

     To become certified, one is required to have 3 years of work
     experience and to pass an intensive comprehensive exam administered by
     SRA.  To prepare for the exam, the society does provide a pamphlet
     outlining what is contained in the common body of knowledge. In
     addition, review courses (usually 1-2 days) are offered nationwide.
     Once you pass the exam, you get to tag on CRA (Certified Research
     Administrator) after your name which is recognized nationally.  I
     noticed that a great number of my colleagues did have the
     certification which demonstrates the fields dedication to requiring
     uniform knowledge and training for professionals.

     Laura Mahoney
     NAGPRA Consultant
     Archeology & Ethnography Program
     National Park Service