From:
Pat Roath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 11:13:47 -0600
I believe that "SIMANCO" is short for "SInger MANufacturing COmpany".
It this under the storage lid of the cabinet?  The cabinet could have
been made by/for Singer, and the machine now in it something entirely
different--many sewing machines fit many cabinets of the same date.  The
same could be true if the stamp is on a carrying case.

I've never seen a Singer that didn't have that name on it (with the
exception of the W&W as described in another post).  Singers also have a
serial number--in the older black body machines it is engraved in the
metal base of the machine on the right just behind the front spool pin
(the spool pin for bobbin winding).  Most also have a embossed brass
name plate that is riveted to the front of the machine below the
stitch-length control.

If your inquirer has a serial number (perhaps 124402 is it), suggest
they take the number to a Singer machine dealer--many dealers have a
lists that will give the date of manufacture according to the serial
number.  I'm not sure, but "DS 627 DC"  sounds like either a model
number or a manufacturer code.

Good luck--

Pat Roath
Historic Costume Care