From:
Meg Ropp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:35:55 -0500
Dear Museum-L art buffs,
I have received several different responses to my request about
indentifying a painting from a bit of text and it is a reminder of the
variety of connections that individuals might make between text, images,
and memory. Several individuals thought the painting might be Homer's "Gulf
Stream" while others suggested John Singleton Copley's "Watson and the
Shark," 1778, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Another thought it could have
been a work by Jacque Louis David.

As it turns out, the painting my friend was thinking of was "Gulf Stream"
but this has been an thoughtful experiment and I appreciate all of your
replies! I wish that we had an online Web-based version of Janson's with a
searchable database on key words, topics, and all the other fields we could
think of.
Thanks!
Meg Ropp

Meg Ropp, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
College of Education
Michigan State University
130 Erickson Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824
http://www.educ.msu.edu/homepages/Ropp/

"The future is already here, it's just that it hasn't been evenly
distributed." - William Gibson