From:
Pat Roath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 12:10:05 -0600
Mary--

There are no manufacturers of museum mannequins in the U.S. that I know
of.  You don't specify the date of your uniforms--if they are WWII or
after, you may do fine with retail store mannequins.  These can
sometimes be found when stores go out of business or from second hand
clothing stores, etc.  Beware that if you're dealing with full
mannequins, the face makeup, posture, and hand and leg gestures may be
inappropriate for the period.  Also, you'll need a good wig stylist or
maker.  Expect to do some mannequin alteration--either padding out or
sawing away.

The Cincinnati art museum used to sell what they called the "Stuffed
Shirt"--essentially a rag doll, cut to the specific measurements of a
garment, and built over a wood and dowel frame.

There is another foam mannequin available--it has head and hands, and is
available in lots of sizes from infant to adult. It has no facial
features, and though poseable, I think looks a bit stiff and odd, though
perhaps not more so than the stuffed cloth ones.

The only other museum quality full-body mannequin that I know of comes
from Kyoto, Japan, and is on the pricey end.

Let me know if you want more information about any of this--I can look
up addresses, etc.

Pat Roath
Historic Costume Care